STD or sexually transmitted diseases can be checked with testing at your appointment.
Most STDs are bacterial, viral or parasitic infections and the most commonly tested for STDs include:
- Hepatitis B
- Genital herpes
- Human papillomarivus (HPV)
There are other less common STDs that can be tested for which include chancroid, molluscum contagiosum and granuloma inguinale.
If you have sex with anyone who’s tested positive for an STD, or who has active symptoms of an STD please call our office to schedule testing as soon as possible.
OBGYN Associates recommend testing if you have any of the following symptoms:
- New genital discharge
- Genital pain
- Pain during intercourse
- Pelvic area pain
- Genital itchiness or burning
- Genital skin changes – including bumps, sores or other growths
The doctors at OBGYN Associates use the following guidelines for STD testing, regardless of sexual habits:
- Everyone 13-64 needs a minimum of one HIV test during their life
- Women under 25 need annual gonorrhea and chlamydia testing
- Women 25 and older with multiple partners or new partners need annual testing
- All pregnant women need hepatitis B, HIV, and syphilis testing
- At-risk pregnant mothers need gonorrhea and chlamydia testing
- Women who share drug needles need HIV tests yearly
Your doctor will make it easy to get your STD testing and treatment in a confidential and supportive environment. Call the office or arrange your STD testing through our online booking.