Infertility affects one out of every eight couples in the United States.
Experts recommend an infertility evaluation if you have not gotten pregnant after 1 year of having regular sexual intercourse without using birth control. If you are older than 35, an evaluation is recommended after 6 months of trying.
The doctors at OBGYN Associates can perform an infertility evaluation and it may include an exam, laboratory tests, semen analysis and radiological studies to determine why pregnancy has not occurred. Approximately 65% of women who seek medical help, go on to give birth.
The chief causes of infertility include:
- Ovulation issues: Infertility is often caused when your ovaries are unable to release eggs (often caused by polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- Uterine issues: Polyps or fibroids in the uterus can cause blockage, or your uterus may be misshapen.
- Cervical issues: Abnormalities or blockages of your cervix
- Endometriosis: A condition where the lining of your uterus grows on the outside.
- Blocked fallopian tubes: Your fallopian tubes may be blocked by inflammation.
- Early menopause: Some women reach full menopause before the age of 40.
- Cancer and its related treatments: Chemotherapy and radiation treatments used to fight cancer of the reproductive organs.
In addition to medical issues, there are a number of factors that may put you at risk for infertility issues, such as:
- Age: the older you get, the more your egg production slows down
- Alcohol consumption
- Weight issues: both underweight and overweight
The OBGYN Associates expert panel of OB/GYNs are highly trained in the field of infertility and will work diligently to get to the source of your problem.